Oral Health Integration Project
The Oral Health Integration Project (OHIP) promotes the health of all Massachusetts residents by building a broad-based coalition advocating for the integration of dental and medical care. Given the importance of oral health to overall health, we believe that oral health integration has a critical role in improving health and wellbeing, especially for Massachusetts’ most vulnerable populations.
OHIP is guided by the following principles:
- Oral health is a crucial part of overall health, and thus medical and dental services should be integrated to improve patient outcomes.
- Oral health integration is complex and will require a multi-pronged approach including payment and care delivery reform, provider education, and investments in health information technology, among other important strategies.
- Racial, ethnic and socio-economic disparities in oral health outcomes and access to needed services must be explicitly addressed in the process of integration.
- Oral health integration should meet the Triple Aim goals of improving the patient experience, improving the health of populations, and reducing per-capita health care spending.
- Our agenda is best promoted by a broad-based coalition with representation of a full range of stakeholders including providers, payers, community organizations, consumers, and advocates.
Include oral health and dental services as a requirement of new state standards for Medicaid and commercial Accountable Care Organizations (ACOs). Given ACOs’ focus on whole-person health, the inclusion of oral health is critical to fully realize the potential of integrated care.
- Integrating Oral and General Health: The Role of Accountable Care Organizations -- October 2016
- Coordinated Care and Oral Health Integration in Oregon -- October 2016
1199SEIU United Health Care Worker's East
Action for Boston Community Development, INC
AIDS Action Committee
The ARC of Massachusetts
Association for Behavioral Healthcare
Better Oral Health Massachusetts Coalition
Boston Public Health Commission
BU School of Dental Medicine
Children's Dental Health Project
Community Health Center of Franklin County
Disability Policy Consortium
Harvard School of Dental Medicine
Health Care For All
Health Law Advocates
Hilltown Community Health Center
Lowell Community Health Center
Massachusetts Association of Community Health Centers
Massachusetts Chapter of the Academy of Pediatrics
Massachusetts Dental Hygiene Association
Massachusetts Public Health Association
Mass League of Community Health Centers
Northampton Survival Center
Northern Berkshire Community Coalitian
North Central Massachusetts Minority Coalition
North Quabbin Community Coalition
Partners for a Healthier Community
Tufts University School of Dental Medicine
United Way of Franklin County