Elder Leap Day for Better Health Care for Seniors
Today, Health Care For All was delighted to join hundreds of seniors, advocates, and caregivers at the Grand Staircase in the State House to advocate for services that keep seniors healthy and living at home. Mass Home Care organized and AARP Massachusetts State Director Mike Festa emceed the event. Over a dozen senior and disability organizations sponsored the event.
According to Mass Home Care, the elderly population in Massachusetts will increase 40% by the year 2035, with nearly 40% of elder needing long term services for more than two years in their lifetime. Today’s lobby day was an amazing showing of energy around policies that will ensure seniors of today and tomorrow have the resources and community supports they need, including home care, adequate housing and transportation.
Issues highlighted include:
- Eligibility and funding for home care services
- Proposed passive enrollment into Senior Care Options
- Supporting caregivers
- Expanding MassHealth eligibility for seniors
- Fair pay for home care workers and personal care attendants
- Opposing EOHHS authority to restructure MassHealth benefits
- Protecting the Community Choices program
- MassHealth estate recovery
Mass Home Care has a good rundown of some of the issues raised. HCFA supports these efforts to help older Massachusetts residents remain independent and living with dignity in their homes and communities.
- Suzanne Curry