Since 1995, the Children’s Health Access Coalition (CHAC) has championed the cause of access to health care for all Massachusetts children.
CHAC is a coalition of providers, community organizations, child advocates, and other stakeholders committed to ensuring that all children in Massachusetts have access to and receive age-appropriate, comprehensive and affordable health care services throughout childhood, from prenatal to adolescent and early adult years. We educate, organize and advocate in our communities, at the State House and beyond.
CHAC envisions a health care system that:
• provides affordable, comprehensive, readily accessible, high quality, coordinated, continuous care for all children;
• effectively serves children with special health needs;
• delivers linguistically and culturally appropriate services;
• addresses unmet needs ; and
• promotes health equity.
CHAC’s advocacy to protect, improve and expand children’s health insurance coverage programs has helped Massachusetts achieve a 98% coverage rate for our children.
• Medicaid: CHAC knows that a strong Medicaid program keeps our children, families and communities healthy. We advocate for improvements to Medicaid – and against harmful cuts at both the state and federal level. With more than 40% of all children covered by MassHealth – the Commonwealth’s combined Medicaid/CHIP program, CHAC believes keeping this program robust is key to a healthy future.
• Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP): When Congress delayed renewal of funding for CHIP, CHAC took action. We educated policy makers at the state and federal level and elevated the stories of the children and families in the Commonwealth and across the nation who depend on this program. We didn’t stop until Congress passed long-term funding for CHIP.
• Children’s Medical Security Plan (CMSP): CHAC worked hard to expand access to CMSP in 1996. CHAC continues to advocate to fund and improve CMSP, a key program that provides coverage for primary and preventative medical and dental services to certain uninsured children.
There is still much work to do. Are you and your organization passionate about breaking down the barriers to coverage and care for all children in Massachusetts? To learn more about CHAC and to get involved, please contact Suzanne Curry firstname.lastname@example.org
or (617) 275-2977. We look forward to working with you!