POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT: DIRECTOR OF POLICY AND GOVERNMENT RELATIONS
HEALTH CARE FOR ALL
DIRECTOR OF POLICY AND GOVERNMENT RELATIONS
LOCATION: BOSTON, MA
Founded in 1985, Health Care For All (HCFA) is one of the most important state-based consumer health advocacy organizations in the country. HCFA’s mission is to advocate for health justice in Massachusetts by working to promote health equity and ensure coverage and access for all.
HCFA works to expand health care access, improve quality and control costs in Massachusetts through its leadership of numerous policy advocacy coalitions. These coalitions bring together a wide variety of organizations to work in concert to make health care changes. By uniting diverse constituencies, HCFA is able to magnify its policy reach on many fronts. HCFA also helps thousands of individuals enroll in and renew their health coverage each year through our consumer assistance HelpLine. We use the health care access barriers that HelpLine callers report to inform our state-level health advocacy agenda.
The organization’s achievements include leading four waves of broad Massachusetts health reform, including legislation in 2006 that was the precursor for the Affordable Care Act. The latest legislation in 2012 resulted in the nation’s first comprehensive law aimed at controlling health care cost growth through adoption of alternative payment methodologies, care coordination, and investments in technology, wellness and prevention. Recent attempts to repeal, dismantle and sabotage the Affordable Care Act and have posed serious threats to health access for the people of Massachusetts. Health Care For All is taking a leadership role once again in the campaigns that will be necessary to both defend the progress we have made in health care access, quality and affordability and continue to tackle cutting edge health care policy solutions to address issues that remain today.
For more information, please visit www.hcfama.org.
The Director of Policy and Government Relations works as one of the chief political strategists for Health Care For All’s legislative, regulatory, and grassroots agenda. The Director has lead responsibility for interactions with governmental and quasi-governmental bodies relative to the organization’s overall policy portfolio, as well as dedicated issue areas including developing, maintaining and enhancing those relationships to further the Health Care For All agenda. As a member of the organization’s management team, the Director of Policy and Government Relations provides advice and counsel regarding statewide health care initiatives, provides national context and shares organizational leadership responsibilities including development, strategic planning, lobbying reporting and staff development. The Director of Policy and Government Relations also supervises the policy team staff members.
The successful candidate will be a pragmatic self-starter and tireless advocate who relishes uphill battles and incremental victories while appreciating the unique role of representing the health care consumers in Massachusetts.
The Director of Policy and Government Relations is supervised by the Executive Director.
- Works with the policy team to develop political strategy and provide leadership for HCFA’s current and future consumer health care policy agenda
- Supervises policy staff members, co-ops and interns and is part of HCFA’s management team
- Serves as one of the organization’s lobbyists and coordinates lobbying activities with other key HCFA staff members and partner groups
- Conceives legislative, regulatory and administrative strategic action plans reflecting HCFA’s policy priorities as they relate to the strategic plan
- Provides advice, training and counsel for HCFA staff, stakeholders, coalitions and leadership about political matters as they relate to organizational bills and priorities
- Strengthens existing and identifies new stakeholder and strategic relationships, including with grassroots groups, consumers, journalists, opinion leaders, policy/research organizations and health care industry representatives
- Maximizes opportunities for consumer-focused health policy advancement
- Tracks and maintains keen awareness of state and federal health care initiatives, focusing on legislative or regulatory changes that impact health care consumers in Massachusetts
- Writes, provides feedback on, and oversees testimony, talking points, and other public communications, ensuring that public statements are integrated, effective and strategic
- Participates in organizational fundraising activities, including identifying grant opportunities, participating in grant writing and all relevant reporting requirements in partnership with the Executive Director and Development Team
- Participates in professional development activities through attendance at educational meetings and programs, review of professional literature and other related activities
- Works closely and collaboratively with the outreach, organizing and communication teams
- Acts as a surrogate for the Executive Director and ambassador for Health Care For All
- 10+ years in leadership roles in the health care policy or related field;
- Commitment to social justice and health equity, as well as leadership experience in social change activism such as legislative advocacy and/or political and policy issue campaigns;
- Proven track record of establishing and maintaining effective relationships with elected and appointed officials;
- Ability to build and work in cross functional teams and collaborate with others;
- Knowledge of state lobbying, ethics and campaign finance laws;
- Demonstrated knowledge of the issues, including legislation, state budget provisions, and other policies that affect health care consumers;
- Ability to independently determine and develop solutions to complex legislative, regulatory and government relations issues; ability to identify creative solutions that are thorough, practicable and consistent with HCFA’s values and objectives;
- Ability and willingness to collaborate with organizing staff to conduct complementary grassroots activities as they relate to a broader legislative or advocacy agenda, including identifying peaks and opportunities to elevate HCFA’s visibility and the consumer voice ;
- Proven ability to reach and motivate diverse audiences and constituencies;
- Proven management skills including supervision, evaluation and mentoring direct reports into increasingly responsible roles;
- Strong analytic and negotiation skills;
- Excellent organizational skills including the ability to prioritize and manage various complex projects simultaneously;
- Strong interpersonal, leadership, collaborative and team building skills;
- Excellent communications skills, including public speaking and strong writing and persuasion skills;
- Ability and willingness to travel and work flexible hours including evenings;
- Prior knowledge of and strong command of Massachusetts state and public health insurance programs preferred;
- Fluency in either Spanish and/or Portuguese an added plus.
Applicants should submit a resume and cover letter summarizing their interest in and qualifications for the position to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put “Director of Policy and Government Relations” in the Subject line.
Health Care For All is an equal opportunity employer with a demonstrated commitment to hiring individuals who reflect the diversity of the communities they serve. Persons of color, persons with multilingual abilities, women, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.